Re(2): Of myth and reality

Subject: Re(2): Of myth and reality
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 23:38:37 EDT

Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de> keeps trying to correct me on developing
Macintosh "fat binary" applications. I've poked around Apple's developer
information, and here's how they described it:

>> For the most part, the programming APIs are the same for each processor,
so you
>> can write one set of sources that applies to both processor families.
Moreover, you
>> can handle slight target differences with conditional compile directives.

So I concede Jan is right, for the most part 8^) But my point about
single-sourcing is reinforced. Write-once, compile-many is single-sourcing,
and we both agree on that. However, if you write a block of text that can be
printed as is, but is only good for the most part online, and has slight
differences in a different target medium, the value of maintaining a single
source is diminished.

-- Steve

Steven Jong--"Typo? What tpyo?"
mailto:SteveFJong -at- AOL -dot- com -dot- nospam
Home sweet home page: http://hometown.aol.com/SteveFJong