RE: Re(2): Of myth and reality

Subject: RE: Re(2): Of myth and reality
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2002 00:02:58 -0400

::: So I concede Jan is right, for the most part 8^) But my point about
::: single-sourcing is reinforced. Write-once, compile-many is
::: single-sourcing,
::: and we both agree on that. However, if you write a block of
::: text that can be
::: printed as is, but is only good for the most part online,
::: and has slight
::: differences in a different target medium, the value of
::: maintaining a single source is diminished.

Which is where a tagged structure with conditional elements comes in
handy. You can, for example, author the paragraph with both online and
print elements in use, and then select one element type or the other
when you need to publish.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine