Re: Things not to put after a full stop.

Subject: Re: Things not to put after a full stop.
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:47:02 -0400

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:26:44 +0100, "Mark Emson"
<mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com> wrote:

>Hi chums,
>
>I've had an interesting day today discovering just how different education
>in English can be (or perhaps how different people remember different parts
>of it.).
>
>The discussion was on which words are not allowed after a full stop
>(period). The range of allowable and non allowable was amazing. What rules
>do you guys apply and what is the rule called?

Sir Ernest Gowers in "The Complete Plain Words", says, "There used to
be an idea that it was inelegant to begin a sentence with and. The
idea is now dead. And to use and in this position may be a useful way
of indicating that what you are about to say will reinforce what you
have just said. But do not do this so often that it becomes a
mannerism. One occasionally sees and used to begin a paragraph; this
has a slightly affected air. But, on the other hand, may be freely
used to begin either a sentence or a paragraph."

I always defer to Sir Ernest and I commend his book to your attention.

-Doc
VerText
South Hamilton, MA
+1-978-468-1105

"You cannot grow a beard in a moment of passion." - G.K. Chesterton