Re: Things not to put after a full stop.

Subject: Re: Things not to put after a full stop.
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 20:06:13 -0400

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:26:44 +0100, "Mark Emson"
<mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com> wrote:

Mark,

As I posted that last message, it dawned on me that I would not be
uncomfortable starting a sentence with any of the words on your list.
Because of this, I'm not sure whether to go back to check my grammar
books or continue my progress in life blithely ignorant of the
niceties.

I suggest that you not obsess about it.

A famous anecdote, slightly cleaned up so Eric doesn't throw me off
the list, is about a new arrival lost in Harvard Yard. Approaching an
older student he asked, "Can you tell me where the Admissions Office
is at?

The older student sneered. "In Haahvahd," he declaimed, "we do not
talk to those who end their sentences with prepositions."

"Oh excuse me," replied the younger, "Can you tell me where the
Admissions Office is at, smartass."

Some of the effect of the final word is lost but the substitute has,
shall we say, anatomical propinquity.

-Doc
David W Lettvin
VerText