Re: Something more to put after the full stop.

Subject: Re: Something more to put after the full stop.
From: Doc <dlettvin -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 15:35:45 -0400

On Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:07:43 +0100, "Mark Emson"
<mt -dot- emson -at- ntlworld -dot- com> wrote:

>Great insight guys, thanks.
>
>I must admit to being a little embarrassed every time I post to this group.
>The depth and breadth of knowledge, particularly from those of you who seem
>to have an valid angle on every subject, is quite overwhelming.

That's because some of us are easing into our curmudgeon years!

>The comments on clarity and comprehension seem to make most sense and I
>suppose that rules are only there for those of us not bright enough to know
>better.

Let me make a few suggestions.

The primary rules are very simple.

Keep it simple.
Keep it consistent.
Keep it clear.

The second rule is what you've been asking about. And <snicker>
although I gave you a mildly snotty answer initially, it was only
because you seemed to think that you were talking about grammatical
rules when you were talking about style.

Grammar is not the touchstone here, style guides are. Follow the style
guide. Keep it consistent.

I recommend as reference the ubiquitous Strunk and White "Elements of
Style", Sir Ernest Gowers' "The Complete Plain Words".

"Woe Is I" by Patricia O'Connor, mentioned earlier, could be fun too.

But <snork> let me call your attention to the following site and its
excellent resources:
http://www.plainlanguage.gov/

There is a link to the UK site from there also.

Good luck.

-Doc
David W Lettvin
VerText