RE: Average Hours Worked

Subject: RE: Average Hours Worked
From: "Kim Schaefer" <kimberly -dot- schaefer -at- contemptech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:38:22 -0400

...Keith said:

"For one thing, that's not what I'm getting paid to do. I signed on to work
40 hours, and am paid accordingly. There are professions where that simply
isn't considered to be enough (young lawyers come to mind), but in most
lines of work, you *should* be able to get a good week's work done within
that time. At least that's what *I* think."

I agree wholeheartedly. I attempt to be as productive as possible during my
40 hours here at work. I am a single mom, and any hours beyond 40 infringe
on my time with my son, who is certainly the biggest priority in my life.

The project I am working on has just instituted a paid overtime policy
throughout this phase of the project. I responded negatively to the news,
saying that because I am able (so far, fingers crossed) to meet all my
deadlines within the 40 hour/week timeframe, and because my son must be
picked up by 6pm from daycare, I am in effect being punished for my
efficiency and for having a child who deserves my time.

Others who don't mind staying late (primarily single men with no domestic
deadlines) to complete their work will be rewarded for their 'diligence'.
Overtime is 'encouraged'; this weekend, I did succumb to the pressure and
worked for a while both Saturday and Sunday, our deadline is today. The
writing/editing/cutting and pasting portions that were the responsibility of
the writers were completed yesterday; the 'overtime bunch' is still not
done, so they are holding up our deadline. Go figure.

Kim