Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: Stephanie -dot- Seveska -at- abbott -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:26:13 -0500

Merry Monday every one,

I am a contractor, paid hourly with time and a half for overtime. However, in
my opinion, people spend too much energy focusing on work. I think that you
need to do the absolutely best job you can while working, but after your 40
hours, that's it. Now, I will work overtime if I have to. I am no stranger to
that. In my last job I was an editor of an internal training magazine and
would frequently pull 50-55 hour weeks (60 a couple times), especially during
deadline. For the record, my productivity actually increased as the day went
on; I think it was because the office was less distracting at midnight than at
noon. Now, however, I do not work more than 40 if I can help it... and I
usually will not start before 7:45 a.m. The most overtime I have worked at my
current contract is 7 hours. Call me crazy, but I don't live for work... I
work so that I can live a little.

There is a really interesting article in the Chicago Tribune, (here's the
link, but you have to PAY to read it:
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/chicagotribune/index.html?ts=1027959050 ) that
addresses this issue. Apparently America has surpassed Japan for the most
hours worked with the least amount of vacation and free time. I am a firm
believer that just because your employers think that they can get away with
it, doesn't mean you have to support or condone it. I love my free time, my
husband, my various activities and hobbies, and my low hourly wage is not
worth giving them up... for what, another Frappucino? Overtime is great if it
serves a real purpose *to you*. i.e, a vacation, that last Visa payment,
saving up for a house; activities that enrich your life outside of work. I am
not a lazy worker, on the contrary, I work very hard, not for my project or my
boss, but so that I only have to be here 40 hours a week!

A great snip from the article: "We need relaxation for we cannot work
constantly. We need amusements and recreation to restore, to recreate
ourselves for our occupation." Chicago Tribune, Chicago, Ill.; May 5, 2002;
Lee Scheier Special to the Tribune

TTFN!
Anne