Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:46:39 -0700

Justin Ressler wrote:

I am that young, susceptible worker described in other posts. I look at it
two ways, but I don't feel I am being naive.

I don't think anyone takes exception to the situation you describe. Anyone who's worked in an IT environment knows that longer hours may be needed as a deadline nears. Anyone who doesn't accepted that doesn't stay in IT very long.

What I (and I think, most other people in the thread) object to is working long hours without being compensated, and being expected to work long hours independent of results.

1. I am not happy unless everybody else is happy with my product. Sometimes
I can make that happen in 20 hours a week, and sometimes it takes more than
40...that's just the way the ball bounces.

This pride is understandable, even praiseworthy. However, it can also be used to exploit you.

Consider, too, that, as a professional, your time is valuable. Being asked to give it away free is an insult to your skill.

It's one thing to volunteer your time. Personally, I give some free time to open source projects. But it's another to be expected to work for free.

2. I don't just do techwriting...if I can help software and hardware
integrate, then I work...if I can help perform calibration on a piece of
hardware...I do it. I don't want to see others kill themselves, and be away
from their families for 16 hours a day, just so I can drink some beer in
front of the TV.

That's generous. But you can give too much. Your generosity can become institutionalized. By that, I mean that it can become a basic part of how things work. If that happens, and you ever need or want time off, you may be perceived as unreasonable and as making unsuitable demands. If you're not careful, your generosity can lead to you being taken advantage of

Anyway, who says that your time is less valuable than anyone else's? Even if you choose to spend your free time in front of a TV, your personal time is still your own.You have a right to it, and, from a business point of view, it could mean that your work the next day is likely to be better.

"Yes, I too have a particular monster
a toad or worm curled in the belly
stirring, eating at times I cannot foretell, he
is the thing I can admitonly once to
anyone, never to those who have not their own."
- Keith Douglas