RE: Average Hours Worked

Subject: RE: Average Hours Worked
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 07:31:49 -0600

First of all, I am crashing the party, because the original post was
intended for full time employees, I however, am a full time consultant. I
have been on the same contract for just better than a year now, so I hope I
can qualify to participate.

Early in the contract, 40 hour work weeks were common. Several times
throughout the contract, we have reviews and deadlines, and then I easily
exceed the 40 hour mark. Now, facing delivery, I haven't worked less than a
10 hour day (10 hours of actual work) in two weeks, with most days near 12
or 13 hours. But, I do find that I am more prone to make mistakes, or not
develop an idea as quickly...my efficiency suffers after 9 or 10 hours.

Like many others, I compensate my overworked times. If I turn out a 60 hour
week, it is usually to meet a deadline. The week following the deadline is
my downtime, and I might burn a day off or two...that is the luxury of being
a consultant I guess.

I am that young, susceptible worker described in other posts. I look at it
two ways, but I don't feel I am being naive.

1. I am not happy unless everybody else is happy with my product. Sometimes
I can make that happen in 20 hours a week, and sometimes it takes more than
40...that's just the way the ball bounces. (Note, I am not doing this for
pay, our project is over budget and out of time, so contractors and
employees may only bill 40 hours a week.)

2. I don't just do techwriting...if I can help software and hardware
integrate, then I work...if I can help perform calibration on a piece of
hardware...I do it. I don't want to see others kill themselves, and be away
from their families for 16 hours a day, just so I can drink some beer in
front of the TV. The company I work for is small, a real team-oriented
environment, so perhaps that changes my perspective. When I started, we
were ALL consultants, so if one member of the team failed, it was quite
possible that we would not be awarded more work. I guess when I see other
people slaving away, I think that I should be too, or at least helping them.
There is no wife and children waiting for me, and my dog, if she isn't with
me at work, is always happy to see me anyway.

Take the good with the bad...

I shared a couple of posts yesterday with my boss, about the study on young
managers trying to work (claw) their way up the corporate ladder (necessary
hours Vs. Overworked). I said, "Well, I coming off a 65 hour week, with
another one ahead...does that make me over ambitious or inefficient?" I
would hope that I am neither.

Anyway...that's my Monday morning rant.

Have a good one...

Justin