PDFMaker hangs on page 35 of 59

Subject: PDFMaker hangs on page 35 of 59
From: "Barnett, Eva" <Eva -dot- Barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 09:09:07 -0700

Hi All,

I'm having some trouble (detailed below) with PDFMaker that I'm hoping you might be able to help with. I posted this question to the planet pdf beginners list yesterday, and so far have not gotten a response. Apologies for the cross-post.

I checked the techwrl archives and came across some ideas, but I'm hoping you might have other suggestions. The most promising idea in the archives is to reinstall Acrobat while logged in as me (it was installed by an IT guy, logged in as admin), but it may be difficult to get permission to do that. I'll go begging to IT at last resort, but if there's another solution... :)

BTW, does anyone know why it might matter who installed the program? (Just in case I have to go present my case to IT.)

Background:
I'm trying to use PDFMaker 4.0 from Word 97 to make a PDF with automatically-generated links from my TOC and cross references. I have the "use Distiller" option selected (not "use PDFWriter), and I've tried it with the "Print via Distiller's Printer" checkbox cleared and checked. Everything works fine if I just print to the Distiller (but, of course, then I can't get those nifty automatic bookmarks and links).

I can use PDFMaker sucessfully with a different (similar but shorter) document. I tried Maggie'ing the document, but I ran into the same problem when I tried to PDFMaker it.

The Problem:
PDFMaker (or maybe Word?) hangs when I try to create the PDF. In the little status popup box, the first check mark goes OK (something about preparing or initializing Distiller), then the second checkbox (something about creating the bookmarks) runs from page 1 to 35 then hangs.

Any thoughts on how to fix this would be much appreciated! Also, please cc me on any responses, as I'm on digest.

Thanks,

Eva