RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?

Subject: RE: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 17:02:42 -0700

And it is a total waste of money, right up until the day that you have the
client's software and the manual on the same machine, working with the
product as you are writing. And the software does something the developers
thought not possible - like corrupt your FAT.

Which is terminal and you cannot get anything off the computer now. Like
your manual, for example. But you do have a nice hard drive, ready to be
reformatted. Suddenly, a low end laptop or desktop seems a wise investment.
You only need it to happen one time. Like backups, or a UPS.

I ALWAYS recommend a laptop and a desktop. Write on one and work with the
product on the other. When the product crashes, you don't run the risk of
losing, corrupting, or otherwise damaging your work.

Cutting a CD to move files takes about 5 minutes. And provides a back up, in
case. Networks are cheap to put together in your home - the hardware can be
purchased for under $100 - and takes about 2 hours to install and configure,
if you drink wine like I did while you do it. Probably less if you don't
need Merlot to run cable. Then again, you may not need to run cable at all -
you may be able to do wireless (I have too many pipes in the wall to do it).

Then you learn about networking technology as well, a nice side benefit. You
can never learn too much technology. In this job market, writing networking
stuff may be your next job.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting