Re: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?

Subject: Re: Telecommuters: laptop or desktop?
From: "Debbie Molinaro" <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 16:56:11 -0400

From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin"

> And it is a total waste of money, right up until the day that you have the
> client's software and the manual on the same machine, working with the
> product as you are writing. And the software does something the developers
> thought not possible - like corrupt your FAT.

Tell me about it! I use a product called VMware for precisely that reason...
I have a virtual machine within a host machine so I can run the client's
builds and not fear for my documentation production environment. You can
load virtual machines for several operating systems, such as Linux, most
Windows, FreeBSD, etc. Very nice set up too if the client's product runs on
Linux and your documentation production environment runs on Windows. It's
NOT a dual-boot solution...it's a machine within a machine.

You can find out more at: www.vmware.com
I do not work for VMware, never have, and receive no compensation from them.
I am merely a satisfied user of their product.

For what it's worth,
Debbie

The Paper Trail
Technical Documentation