Excel to SGML: doing it the hard way?

Subject: Excel to SGML: doing it the hard way?
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- ae -dot- ge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 11:58:42 -0400

Some of my source data comes in the form of Excel spreadsheets, the data is
long list of serial numbers assigned to hardware. These tables have to be
reproduced in service bulletins, which we prepare using Epic/Arbortext.

When I say "long list," I mean typically 10-12 pages of numbers. I got a
short one yesterday, it was only five pages.

I've been using a drawn-out method to get the Excel data into SGML. I copy
the table into a Word file, then save the Word file as HTML. Next, I use a
text editor to open the HTML file, and using search-and-replace functions
change the HTML codes to SGML. After that is done, I copy all of ASCII text
and paste it into the SGML file.

Is there a better way to do this? Maybe a tool out there that would make the
conversion easier?

Please copy me directly on replies, as I'm on digest.

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed-Martin
Saugus, MA

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l