Re: On-Line Vs. Print, Single-Sourcing, and how to ignore the obvious

Subject: Re: On-Line Vs. Print, Single-Sourcing, and how to ignore the obvious
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 12:20:42 -0700 (PDT)

&#34;Rebecca Downey&#34; &lt;rdowney -at- matrox -dot- com&gt; wrote in message
&gt;
&gt; Good morning.
&gt;
&gt; Welcome back Andrew. I missed your acerbic wit.
&gt;
&gt; I would like to know *what* are the differences between On-Line and print
&gt; documentation in your humble opinion.

One is physical the other is not.

One can be interacted with, the other is static.

Do you really need me to point this out?

People have preferences, of course. But how we consume information is variable.
People consume electronic data differently then printed data. And therefore,
making the two media share the exact same information is doing a disservice to
one or the other. And in my stupid opinion, printed documents are getting more
and more useless. There is less and less conceptual information. And I am a
person who likes to read concepts. I can figure out instructions on my own. I
want to hear the concepts so I can fit the technology into my needs.

Sure the two overlap. That's why copy/paste was invented.

Andrew Plato

http://health.yahoo.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com