Re: Secondly vs. Secondarily

Subject: Re: Secondly vs. Secondarily
From: "Doc" <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 14:28:02 -0400

Pat--

Secondly is the second in a linear sequence. (First, Second, Third ...)

Secondarily is of less importance than the main point. (The primary use of
the vorpal blade is slay the Jabberwock. Secondarily it can protect slithy
toves from mome raths

Hope that helps. Have a frabjous day.

-Doc
David 'Doc' Lettvin
VerText
"Versatile Text for reusability and globalization"
http://www.vertext.org
vox: +1.978.468.1105
fax: +1.775.248.0508

"Blount, Patricia" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com> wrote in message
news:164102 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> Hi,
>
> I have a huge headache. I have already taken two aspirin and wonder if
some kind soul will help me clarify the distinction between the two words
"secondly" and "secondarily".

> I have looked up both definitions in three different dictionaries and I
know both are adverbs. "Secondly" is the adverb form of "second" and
"secondarily" is the adverb form of "secondary".

> Are they synonyms? How would you contrast their usage?
>
> I have been staring at this for so long now, words are blurring together
and I am contemplating a career change. I hear 7-11 needs Slurpee makers...

> Many thanks,
>
> Patty B.
>
> Patricia A. Blount
> CA Education