Re: How to get a job in these challenging times

Subject: Re: How to get a job in these challenging times
From: "Doc" <doc -at- vertext -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 22:48:59 -0400

It is odd that you should ask this question.

I spent this weekend with a close friend who is an expert on the concepts of
certification. He provided me with some unsettling insights.

He said that it has been demonstrated that multiple choice qualification
tests have little effect on the ability of the individual to perform the
task. Apparently the only way to guarantee that the testee is actually able
to perform the tasks for which they are to be certified is to have them
perform the task. Knowledge is not enough to assure performance.

-Doc
David 'Doc' Lettvin
VerText
"Versatile Text for reusability and globalization"
http://www.vertext.org
vox: +1.978.468.1105
fax: +1.775.248.0508

<Tuples -at- aol -dot- com> wrote in message news:164143 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> In a message dated 8/5/02 3:35:11 PM Mountain Standard Time, shiva -at- io -dot- com
> writes:
>
> > I actually saw a guy on an Austin, TX intersection, dressed in a nice
> > shirt and tie, with "MCSE Certified, Please Hire Me" kind of signage.
> > It was really depressing to see, and made me despair of ever getting
> > a job again, because we surely must be in the beginning of a new Great
> > Depression.
>
> I see TV ads for all kinds of certifications and the promise of big
dollars.
> Are we turning out too many unqualified IT people?
>
> Is corporate America concerned more with paper slingers than qualified
people
> who can actually do the job?
>
> Bob

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l