RE: Like long hours?

Subject: RE: Like long hours?
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 00:15:10 -0400

::: No it shouldn't. Management perceptions should be "if you
::: get the job done and
::: done well, you're rewarded." Hours should be, for the most
::: part irrelevant. And
::: many companies moved into this arrangement, which tends to
::: breed ambitious and
::: capable people and is intolerant of lazy complainers.
:::
::: I am sorry but many people use their personal life as an
::: outright excuse for why
::: they can't get work done. And while there are a 100000
::: legitimate reasons why a
::: person needs to leave SNAP on the dot at 5 pm, what about
::: the needs of the
::: company to produce a product, make a profit, and fulfill
::: its mission? When does
::: the company's needs get discussed?

I dunno man. I work so I can afford to have a life. Sure, work is a
large part of my life, but I have a family and other hobbies to fill my
time.

Hours are not irrelevant. Anyone who has ever had to plan a project (and
stick to it) will tell you that. Once you ignore standard working hours
(as defined by the company, but most have it defined as 40 hours to a
week) you are SOL at planning a project successfully.

I don't use my personal life as an excuse for not getting work done. I
don't use it as an excuse for anything. My personal life is why I am
working - so I can afford to have it and do with it as I please. I plan
my work time accordingly,and I get stuff done. Then I go home and enjoy
the other 66% of my life.

Your error is that you equate working excessive overtime with getting
things done (either you work long hours or it doesn't get done). That
right there is a project management failure or a staffing failure. If
the project was properly planned taking into account normal, agreed-upon
working hours, and the staff working on the project did the work they
were supposed to be doing during working hours, then the project should
be at least close to on-time without the need for excessive overtime.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com