RE: Like long hours?

Subject: RE: Like long hours?
From: "Bill Swallow" <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 08:11:07 -0400

::: Planning projects isn't really an aspect of this discussion
::: Bill.

Oh it most certainly is. In many cases the reason why people end up
working overtime is to finish a project that was horribly planned. I've
met few project leads who plan a project and don't peg every resource at
100%. The 100% assumes overtime right off the bat, and the next project
is usually based on the timliness of the previous, so if it was
completed reasonably on-time with resources at 20 hours overtime a week,
then the cycle only gets worse from there.

::: We're talking about employment and expectations on the job.

Which has nothing to do with the way projects are planned, right?
Sheesh...

::: Its the quality of your
::: work and your ability to fulfill a need in your
::: organization that are most important.

You're exactly right, and I don't think anyone's countering that
specifically.

::: You fill that need by intelligently managing
::: your time such that you
::: are able to get your work done under reasonable conditions.

And right there you assume we're all masters of our own work lives. See
the project management issue for just one example of where your
assumption fails.

B I L L S W A L L O W
Information Design & Development Professional
tel/fax: 518.371.1867 wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com
List Owner: HATT, WWP-Users, InFrame
Co-Moderator: SingleSourcing-Mgmt
WebWorks Wizard Editor of InFrame Magazine

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com