Pleasing a Manager

Subject: Pleasing a Manager
From: "Doc Writer" <doc_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2002 01:12:51 +0000

Times are tough at my company right now with at least one layoff per pay period. Everyone is on edge, and I hate it!

The problem, I can't please my direct manager. He thinks that he is the best writer since Shakespeare! The other day, he reviewed a white paper that I wrote. He came in to my office, plopped it on my desk and said, "This is AWWWWful." He wasn't kidding. He said it has no beginning, no middle and no end. It's poorly organized and doesn't flow. Then, he proceded to ask, "what is it about?".

I told him that the first paragraph explains the topic. He hadn't read it. I told him that "awful" was a pretty strong word, could he be more specific. I also asked him to edit it. He said that it needs to be rewritten. I'd rewrite it, but know that nothing pleases him. He doesn't read the documents just has opinions about them.

I have seen different styles of writing, taught varying styles of writing, but never seen "AWWWful" writing unless it was completely "ilegable wth grammr and speling erors."

He does not know how to write technical documentation. That's why they hired me! I just can't get it through his thick brain to read the documents! He's pompous, lazy, airheaded, unfocused and is going to make me want to quit!

Thus the reason for the post... Do you agree that they want me to quit?

Sorry, for the vent, but I've never been told that my writing was "AWWWful". Needs editing, yes, but not that.

CJ

and more from the TECHWR-L Store. All proceeds support TECHWR-L. http://www.cafepress.com/cp/store/store.aspx?storeid=techwhirl

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l