Re: Master Docs in Word

Subject: Re: Master Docs in Word
From: cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 19:06:32 -0600

You can blame Maggie for mentioning the major demon's name, thus invoking
him from somnambulistic bliss.

I have one simple question for you to answer:

Do you have a Version Control System and use it religiously? Eg VSS.

Your answer is then used to answer the question "Can I use Master's
safely?".

As my lengthy article on the Whirler's goes into, use it as a publishing
gimmick only. So at publish time, you purge your local dir and then Get
Latest on the doc set. DO NOT CHECKOUT ANYTHING BUT THE MASTER. Convert em
all to not read only. Pop up your evil master and let it spray havoc over
the poor, innocent subs.

Don't worry about the screaming of the subs Clariss, they get slaughtered
straight after publishing anyway, sacrificed to the great god of Quality
Control up there in bureaucratic heaven. After the evil master has had his
way with them, they're all used up and no fun to play with anymore.

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic, Sydney, Australia
"Player One needs more work... badly"
Freelance teacher, trainer, tutor, writer
Email: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com Word and other FAQs at http://blog.tdfa.com
You agree by writing to me personally that any material can be reused
publicly unless you explicitly disclaim it. (For Blog and List Use)

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com