Re: Average Hours Worked

Subject: Re: Average Hours Worked
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 19:44:39 -0700 (PDT)

"Sean Brierley" <sbri -at- haestad -dot- com> wrote ...

>Are you kidding? Single sourcing saves, at a minimum, 40 hours of work
>per project. Single sourcing lets you jam out projects more quickly and
>accuratly than multi-sourcing. Single sourcing is quite different than
>font fondling, single sourcing relies on structured content, something I
>expected you to appreciate. You are missing the boat big-time on that.

A single sourcing system must be set-up, managed, maintained, and administrated.
All of which requires time. While the unit time of a given project may decrease,
your overall time working may increase in the amount of time it takes to setup
and build a working system.

Clearly if an employee can find a way to do their job better and reduce the
amount of REAL time it takes to do their work, that is always a good thing. But
the employee must remember that just because something holds the promise of time
savings, doesn't mean it actually will save time or increase quality.

>No, that's not my complete list of options. But, are you suggesting that
> the extra work be pushed off onto other employees. What, are you
> assuming they were not also in the same overtime boat already? And, you
>found money when you said there was none. Either there is money to hire
>more people or there isn't.

I mentioned a handful of options. There are probably 20 to 30 more, some of which
involve finding resources, redistributing resources, etc. The point is, that when
resources are limited, you have to find ways to make do. And people and their
time are a resource that must be managed and allocated properly. If people are
working a lot of overtime, then clearly work needs to be altered...including work
habits, work products, and procedures.

One of the problems with overtime work is that many employees refuse to alter
their work habits to accomidate the limited resources at their company. As such
they end up working more hours than is really necessary to get the job done.
Employees demanding that they NEVER have to change or work more is just as bad as
employers who demand excessive overtime.

>I don't think consistently changing the rules and parameters of the
>discussion is a very valid way to argue your point, but I have to admit,
>it makes your logic difficult to pin down.

What rules and parameters am I changing? Hasn't this discussion always been about
working overtime?

Andrew Plato

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com