Re: Single-sourcing... Again...

Subject: Re: Single-sourcing... Again...
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:45:56 -0700 (PDT)

So its okay to burn up overtime setting up a single-sourcing system, but it would
be unacceptable if your boss asked you to stay overtime to get some docs done?
(Presumably using that very same system that you spent all this time to build.)

This is where my whole argument about overtime work hinges. People are always
happy to work overtime on something they enjoy (like setting up single-sourcing
systems). But when it comes to doing the mind-numbing work they were hired to
complete...they have to get home to the kids/dog/spouse/car/hobby/etc.

Andrew Plato

--- Bill Swallow <wswallow -at- nycap -dot- rr -dot- com> wrote:

> As with anything, you get out of it what you put into it. True, you need
> to invest time and effort up front to set up the process. What you aim
> for is the ROI, not immediate satisfaction. So yes, pull your overtime
> setting it up and nailing the process down, and then (if it's working
> right and you thought it out well) reap the benefits of reuse with
> minimal rework. Of course single-sourcing isn't for everyone, but for
> those it suits, it can be a big success if done right.

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com