Re: Style conventions: Pipelines vs. Arrows, Single step style vs . Sentence.

Subject: Re: Style conventions: Pipelines vs. Arrows, Single step style vs . Sentence.
From: Tuples -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:42:51 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/02 9:34:36 AM Mountain Standard Time,
KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com writes:

> My Customer Support people, and others, keep demanding
> that I break procedures down into smaller and smaller
> sections -- in other words, sub-headings everywhere.
> This does make it easy to see the flow if you are
> skimming the ToC. It also makes it easy to find your
> spot on the page when looking away from the book
> (to perform a task or just to rest your weary eyes...)
> and then back to the page.
> Both of those are good things.

Forgive me, but who hired you? Who are you responsible to? I should think
that if your ideas are better than your support folks are offering, then take
the matter to the supervisor. Argue your case because it might you think it
is valid.

I was asked by a line supervisor who talked to another supervisor who talked
to a manager about a document I wrote. 400 pages of operation instructions
for a surface mount machine and oven.

Their idea was to explain all key points in all of the languages our
employees spoke. The problem was we had more than a dozen languages and I
knew this was a silly idea.

I went to my supervisor and their suggestions were ignored. The document
would have been impossible, and our corporate policy was to hire only English
speaking employees.

Good luck, though.

Bob

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l