Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...

Subject: Re: I'm taking my marbles and going home...
From: Tuples -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 15:30:52 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/02 11:13:47 AM Mountain Standard Time,
JPosada -at- book -dot- com writes:

> I'm sure you'll find that most large web sites (the ones with the jobs)
> don't use HTML pages...they are being database driven. The "web page" is
> written on the fly. Now, imagine two resumes.
>
> 1) Web content writer. I know how to write well. I also know DreamWeaver.
> 2) Web content writer. I know how to write well. I also know XML, Oracle,
> asp, and client/server side scripting.

First of all, separate the two. Programing is much different than writing.
Writing Web content does NOT require programming skills. Some people will
never become good at programming because it takes more than just
understanding the code. Good programming can often be a matter of creativity
as writing is. Sorry for my narrow view, but I really think we need to
remember what it is we do. We write. Besides, proficiency in several
programming languages takes time.

I would argue that the writing on most web sites is not always written on the
fly, but perhaps you are right. I will say that a writer can easily provide
content and incorporate it later. I use MS Word and I never see the
programmers doing the coding. Incidentally, I see many web sites each day.
What bothers me is how poorly they are written and how many mistakes there
are.

Gang, my view is unpopular. I am just too tired to take up some world
changing battle. I see a change from writers being writers, to writers being
experts in everything. This can make it hard for some who are forced into
wearing a dozen different Stetsons. I fear that time will come when writers
are hired on their page layout, programming or other skills and the actual
writing part will be an afterthought.

Bob

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com