Dreamweaver, RoboHelp, Doc To Help, or AuthorIT???

Subject: Dreamweaver, RoboHelp, Doc To Help, or AuthorIT???
From: CDaniel -at- automatedlogic -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 07:57:52 -0400

Help! Our documentation group is switching from ForeHelp to new software.
We have been evaluating RoboHelp, Doc To Help, AuthorIT - even
Dreamweaver. (I have searched the archives, but haven't pulled up anything
on this specific issue yet...)

We definitely need conditional text! We build our help files first for
online help, then build them for wbt. The wbt has no links and in some
places entirely different language. We also need browse sequences. And
several authors must be able to check projects in and out. Basically we
were pushing ForeHelp to its limits, but it was getting the job done.

We are even considering Dreamweaver, with Deva, due to the graphics in our
help files. (Last year we inserted screenshots in all procedures and some
overview topics.)

Anyway, we can't find what we think we need. Any opinions? The companies
have replied and told us various ways of handling the conditional text,
but none seem to work as well as ForeHelp's. These conditionalized links
(words, not paragraphs) are scattered throughout the text.

We also need to be able to generate manuals from it. Hopefully, easily.
Ha!

Now we are considering just sticking with ForeHelp for the time being,
maybe 6 months to a year, until something better suited to us comes along.

(I only receive the digest of this list, so Monday morning I'll be
crossing my fingers and hoping when I come in...) Thanks for any advice
you can give!

Cydnie Daniel

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com