Re: Do I have to understand the material?

Subject: Re: Do I have to understand the material?
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:23:39 -0600

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> I think this exchange is the gist of Doc's differences with Andrew on
> this point. Doc is talking about the normal working conditions, while
> Andrew is talking about what we should aim for.
>
> I think that writers ought to have to have a healthy regard for both
> viewpoints. On the one hand, we shouldn't let ideals interfer with the
> reality of deadlines and other normal working conditions. On the other
> hand, we shouldn't let realism content us with the often inadequate
> results that we sometimes have to settle for.

Abso-friggin-lutely!

I think Bruce has hit upon one of the reasons that Andrew's posts so
frequently elicit ...ummm... let's say, extended heated debate: it's the
is/ought dichotomy.

Andrew's posts are almost _always_ *prescriptive*. Many of the responses
taking issue have a *descriptive* point of view.

As with grammar and usage, both prescriptive and descriptive points of view
are useful. I confess, however, that in matters of human conduct, I favor a
prescriptive point of view.

Of course, some people describe it as "judgmental." ;-)

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer