Re: ZIP efficiency and file size, Doc vs. PDF

Subject: Re: ZIP efficiency and file size, Doc vs. PDF
From: "Richard G. Combs" <richard -dot- combs -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 14:37:01 -0600

Keith Cronin wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
>
> > That's mostly a matter of printer memory. I used to have the same
> > problem, but once I upgraded my printer to 20 megabytes of RAM, the
> > problem went away - at least for files of less than 20 megs.
>

> But why, then, does a 500K PDF take WAYYYY longer to print than a 1.5MB
> Word doc? I've always found this to be the case, particularly if the PDF
> has many graphics, regardless of file size.

I've observed the same thing. It seems to vary some from printer to printer,
suggesting that the RIP enters into it (our Sharp network
copier/printer/toaster is way slower than the HP). But, all else being
equal, on any given printer, the PDF seems to print far more slowly than the
doc from which it was created. Even though the PDF is much smaller than the
PostScript file being sent to the printer (the source file size is
irrelevant).

Any other ideas on why this is so?

It's Friday PM (here in Denver), and time to ponder such mysteries and start
thinking about beer.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs