RE: Documentation Quality Metrics

Subject: RE: Documentation Quality Metrics
From: Marguerite Krupp <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:57:04 -0400

The first questions that come to mind include:

"Who is your audience for these metrics?"
"What use will they make of these measurements?"
"What are the other departments measuring?" [ASK!]

Before expending a lot of time and effort on this project, it would be
useful to know this information.

Oh, and hie thee to a used bookstore and get a copy of _How to Lie with
Statistics_ by Darrell Huff. This 1960s book will give you a good idea of
some of the traps inherent in this type of activity.

Of course, if the answer is, "Just do it!", then you know something, too.
Cynically, in this instance, I'd say make the stats come out the way that's
most favorable to your group's objectives... [she said, reaching for her
flameproof garments].

Marguerite

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com