RE: Justification for New TW Position

Subject: RE: Justification for New TW Position
From: "Bill Burns" <Bill_Burns -at- lionbridge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:04:31 -0600

Hi, Alan.

>This is a first for me. I've never had to formally justify a hiring decision. I hired when I >needed someone, and laid off when the work dried up. Any suggestions?

Your previous experience may be precisely why your supervisor wants a written justification. It'll motivate you to do some needs analysis to determine if you really need this new person. If you can't find data to support the need, then you WILL end up laying this person off.

I'm sure there are other data points, but these points come to me initially:

- Estimated volume of work in person hours
- Any hard schedules under which you operate that constrain when work volume needs to be handled
- Any needs in terms of skill set that can't be handled easily with training
- Any estimates on the cost of NOT hiring and training this new resource

Bill Burns
Technical Communications Manager
MS Help MVP
Lionbridge Technologies