Re: Justification for New TW Position

Subject: Re: Justification for New TW Position
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 07:53:47 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Miller, Alan" <Alan -dot- Miller -at- prometric -dot- com> wrote:

> TWs One and All:
>
> <good news>I was just informed by my supervisor that she's including a spot for a
> new TW in next year's budget.</good news> <bad news> She wants me to write a
> justification ... by tomorrow.</bad news>
>
> This is a first for me. I've never had to formally justify a hiring decision. I
> hired when I needed someone, and laid off when the work dried up. Any suggestions?

Well, what work is on your plate for the coming year? List all of the projects,
definite and tentative, that are coming up in the next year. Then figure out how
much time a writer will need to spend on each. Do it the same way you would estimate
time for any project, remembering that there is administrative overhead, time off,
and other factors that will impact time available for actual work. Don't forget the
ongoing and recurring tasks (peer reviews, training, etc.) that a new writer will
need to become familiar with and perform.

This exercise should give you a load greater than necessary to justify an additional
writer, because there's always more stuff laying around to do than there are hours
in the day or hands to do the work.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 08/18/02
--Never underestimate the power of the human mind to hear what it wants to hear, read what it wants to read, see what it wants to see, and believe what it wants to believe.--

http://finance.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com