The Value Added by Research

Subject: The Value Added by Research
From: "Ramesh Aiyyangar" <aramesh -at- veritas -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:36:07 +0530

Is writing a spontaneous exercise? Or is it the result of detailed planning?
Can one write without a research base of sources he or she can dip into? Or,
is research the pivot around which his creativity revolves? Are there any
golden
rules for research in writing. Can one can write without a research base of
sources
and still make a name for oneself. Writing is popularly believed to be a
spontaneous
exercise. Often it is, but one cannot sustain oneself as a writer of merit,
as
a writer whose works will live on when he does not, without research. Is
this true?
Does research lend respect to your writing and with time, to your by-line

I am planning to do a piece on the value added by research
for an e-zine. The friendly editor has given me total freedom to deal
with the subject as I wished, without setting a word-limit, except a
free-flowing deadline.

I haven't yet decided the scope of the article, but I plan to include the
types of
resource, advantages of research, some Do's and Don'ts etc..

Can you folks provide me with some inputs,
ideas or data to make the article informative and interesting.

Opinions, suggestions, comments are welcome.

Appreciating all your help in advance.

Thanks
-Ramesh Aiyyangar

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com