RE: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures

Subject: RE: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures
From: "Carey Jennifer (Cry)" <jennifer -dot- carey -at- cdi -dot- cerberus -dot- ch>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:45:09 +0200

Hi Jane

I'm sorry to hear the news.

My approach may seem overly simple, but I would make a list of all the
projects that require documentation, and a list of the documentation set
that would accompany each of them.

If possible put together two time projections for how long it will take to
create those docs - One for how long it would take someone with knowledge of
the software and existing doc standards, and one for someone who has to go
through the learning curve.

I would then make a report of how much TW-consultants typically cost in your
area.

Finally, I would present the cost difference between what they would pay for
you to do the work and what they would pay for someone else to do the work.
I would present a one year plan and a five year plan.

You could consider upping your rate a bit and offering to work at home
making site visits only when necessary thus reducing the cost of physical
overhead for them and giving yourself the flexibility to look elsewhere.

Good luck.
Jennifer