Re: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures

Subject: Re: Tuesday's news: cost-cutting measures
From: "Martin Page" <mpage -at- csl -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 17:31:13 +0100

Commisserations, Jane.
My first thought is that, of course, not having a technical writer has cost
implications. Hope they have a good help desk...

"Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com> wrote in message
news:167231 -at- techwr-l -dot- -dot- -dot-

> It's not really worth sending this ANONFWD...
>
> Okay, I've just been told I'm "at risk of redundancy"... and unless I or
the
> company can think up some "cost-cutting measures" by Friday, I'll be
> formally redundant.
>
> Assuming that they mean it when they say "cost-cutting measures" - my
first
> thought is to offer to go part-time. Working two days (or three days) a
week
> would give me a safety net plus spare time to try and build-up freelance
> technical writing/copyediting/indexing work, which is something I've been
> thinking of doing for a while.
>
> (My second thought is, of course, to go home, polish up the CV, start
> URGENTLY sending it out to all and sundry. The two thoughts can, of
course,
> be carried out in parallel.)
>
> I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's gone from full-time to part-time
at
> the same company, or any thoughts from people about how best to present
the
> plan of the company getting a part-time technical writer (and currently,
I'm
> the only one they have) instead of a full-time one.
>
> Jane Carnall
> "Tiny weasels."
> http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20020903.html
> Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and
outwith
> my control.
> Home: hj -dot- carnall -at- virgin -dot- net

> E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data
corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital
Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be
inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining
written confirmation.

e-mail is strictly forbidden.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com