Word doc to HTML?

Subject: Word doc to HTML?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:35:00 -0400

Steve Goldberg reports: <<I'm using Word 2002 to create an html file (save
as web page...) which is emailed to a distribution list. The html file has
an embedded .gif file (I've also tried cutting and pasting) which does not
appear when recipients open the file.>>

That's the nature of HTML: images are external to the text part of the file,
and I'm not aware of any way to embed them in the file itself. For your
approach to work, you need to put the image in a Web directory accessible to
your readers, then when you insert the image, make sure you're "linking to
the image" (select the checkbox in the "insert picture from file" dialog
box) and change the link information to point to the correct Web directory.

Given that you've got to do this in the first place, and that many people
have problem with file attachments in e-mail (particularly if the size is
large and they're downloading by modem), consider posting the page on the
Web instead and simply e-mailing them the URL with a short text summary.

<<I'm using Outlook to send the email.>>

There's definitely a way to produce a multipart HTML-formatted e-mail in
which the images are embedded, but that's not the same thing as creating a
Web page. Different beastie entirely. I wasn't able to figure out how to
accomplish this when I faced a similar problem, but perhaps some kind

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com