Re: what should I say?

Subject: Re: what should I say?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:22:22 -0700

Susan W. Gallagher wrote:

So, what I'm asking is, is this Quark solution going to work?

Is this a one-off manual? Is the look of the manual especially important for some reason? Is the paper layout the most important one?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes," then Quark might be a reasonable choice.

However, if revision or single-sourcing is intended, then it's questionable.

And if nobody thinks it will, should I say something, even at
the risk of hurting my relationship with the marketing guy, to
save the client some heartache and hard-earned cash???

In my experience, if you present potential problems as a genuine concern for the project and the client, very few people will be offended.

I'd present the situation as I described it above, and be prepared to compromise.For example, if single sourcing is an issue, then help to make the design oriented towards on-line display. On-line design usually works better on paper than the other way around, so that might be acceptable (although it might also drive up the printing cost).

If the client doesn't listen, you can either bail out or accept the situation. Once you've done your best to mention concerns, it's up to you to adjust to the client, not the other way around. The only other alternative is to quit the contract.

"I'm just trying to rid the world of all these fevered egos that are tainting our collective unconscious and making us pay a higher psychic price than we can imagine."
-Bill Hicks

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com