Re: The humbling reality of writing multi-page articles

Subject: Re: The humbling reality of writing multi-page articles
From: Herbert Morgan <morgahl -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 07:06:36 -0700 (PDT)

Darren:

I don't know if someone has mentioned this or if there are any studies
addressing this, but I notice in my own use that I am often
"distracted" by hyperlinks within text. If I come to a link that
interests me, I will click it at the time that I read it. And sometimes
I become so interested in the link I've been taken to that I don't
return to the original article. Or I may follow links ad infinitum
until I don't even remember the article from which I started. Then I
logoff.

Maybe it's my short attention span. (I'm an American after all.) I do a
similar thing when I watch TV, only my reason for leaving one channel
is to avoid being insulted by advertising. A commercial comes on, I
surf until something grabs my attention. Another commercial, another
surfing opertunity. An hour later, the original program is over, and
I'm left wondering (occasionally) who shot JR?

Does a Weblog indicate that a user has clicked a link? I noticed that
the 2 or 3 links in your article that I tried opened a new window,
which is a good thing, because otherwise the chances of me returning to
your article would be much slimmer.

Does a log indicate which links are accessed? For example, how many
users used your Webmonkey link. Perhaps several users "linked
out"--opted out of your article only never to return for some
un-Weblogable reason.

Thanks for providing the links in your postings,
Herb Morgan

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

Absolutely FREE! FrameMaker/Win 6 & 7 Express Customization (v3):
Quick-access buttons & keys to common functions, char tag/font drop-down
lists, charset browser, QRef guides & much more: http://www.microtype.com/2

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com