Re: Guidelines for tech writer salary grades for HR

Subject: Re: Guidelines for tech writer salary grades for HR
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:39:51 -0600

Marj wrote:

> The East Coast HR administrator said they will use
> resources such as SIRS, Parent (?), and Hewitt to help
> determine salaries; I don't know a lot about those
> resources but I think they are specifically for the
> medical industry. I'm going to try to see if I can get
> more info on them.

If the SIRS you're referring to is the one based in Boca Raton, do NOT use
them as a guideline - their salaries are at the extreme low end of the
spectrum.

To be more succinct, they pay crap. They've got some good people, some of
whom I've met at STC meetings, but they're taking advantage of them,
paying them 1/2 to 1/3 of what other tech writers in South Florida make.

Use the STC survey, and possibly www.salary.com. Good luck!

Keith Cronin

Tech writers. We do it for the love, not for the money. Really.

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com