Re: University degree

Subject: Re: University degree
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 06:16:42 -0600

Beena asks:
>if a Technical writer with 3 + years of experience wants a break
>thorugh in US technical writing field. is it essential to have a
>MAsters degree(any degree) in Technical writing?

No.

One of the advantages of this field is that there is NOT an ironclad set
of criteria that make you "officially qualified" to be a tech writer.

That may change, but first a lot of us mutts from all walks of life will
have to die or retire. <g>

The degree won't hurt, but the thing _I_ would look at when considering
whether to hire you is the 3+ years of experience you mentioned. I want
somebody that knows how to DO this stuff, not just somebody who's taken a
lot of classes about it.

Keith Cronin

who got into tech writing armed with a music degree, some truck driving
experience, and a couple semesters of computer-oriented community college
classes

Acrobat & FrameMaker Seminars: PDF Best Practices, FrameMaker-to-Acrobat
Advanced Techniques, FM Template Design, Single Sourcing with FrameMaker
in Brussels (Oct), and in Montreal & Dallas (Dec): http://www.microtype.com/1

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com