Re: Linking from PDF to specific topics in .hlp

Subject: Re: Linking from PDF to specific topics in .hlp
From: svi -dot- ben-elya -at- eAladdin -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 10:27:56 +0300

- Svi Ben-Elya - phone: +972-4-8811426 -
- svib -at- eAladdin -dot- com (work) - svi -at- svi -dot- co -dot- il (home) -

__________________

I'm not familiar with that specific command, but your problem might be
caused by the placement of the Hypertext marker at the beginning of the
text you use for the link. This is the default location when you select a
block of text to mark. However, when you distill, the link is offset to
another location.

To solve this problem, move the marker to the middle of the word. If you
have a phrase that is formatted differently from adjacent text, the link
covers all text with that formatting.

Let me know if this solves your problem.

By the way, one of the help gurus may be able to help me with a similar
problem:
Our interface currently links to WinHelp topics. I would like to have it
link to PDFs instead. The location where the interface programmer links to
a specific help topic works for WinHelp only. What should I ask the
interface programmer to do?

For those who are wondering why, our GUI is basically self explanatory to
our audience (I know... ha, ha, ha). When users do have a question while
using the GUI it is usually related to a question of what they want to
accomplish and why they should use a certain option. These explanations are
usually complex enough that they would prefer to print and read a few pages
of hard copy.

On 09/18/2002 02:23:47 PM AST "Johnson, Chris" wrote:

>Hello everyone:
>I'm faced with a problem for which I have not found any answer after
>searching every possible place and hope someone can help me.
>We have a proposed training document which will be created in Framemaker
6.0
>and will be in hard copy and PDF formats. There are several places where
we
>would like to link to online help topics (.hlp: Winhelp 4) from the PDF.
In
>Framemaker I have used the "message client" Hypertext command with the
>following syntax:
>"message system C:/PathtoHelpFile/WINHELP.EXE -iSystem_Module
>afm_sysman.hlp"
>In Framemaker the link works fine, but when I create a PDF the link goes
>away (even though I selected the "Generate Acrobat Data" Print option).
When
>I link to a URL using a HTML help topic it works fine from Framemaker and
>from a PDF. If we can't find a solution, the only route would be to
convert
>this huge file (600,000 words) to HTML help just for this project which no
>one wants to do.
>Since I'm always in "Digest mode", if anyone has any information, please
>respond to me at chris_johnson -at- archibus -dot- com -dot- Thanks in advance for any
clues
>you can provide!
>Chris Johnson

******************************* IMPORTANT ! **********************************
The content of this email and any attachments are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender immediately.
Do not disclose the content of this message or make copies.

This email was scanned by eSafe Mail for viruses, vandals and other
malicious content.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com