Re: Linking from PDF to specific topics in .hlp

Subject: Re: Linking from PDF to specific topics in .hlp
From: Shlomo Perets <mtype -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 09:35:15 +0200

Chris,

You wrote:

... searching every possible place and hope someone can help me.
We have a proposed training document which will be created in Framemaker 6.0
and will be in hard copy and PDF formats. There are several places where we
would like to link to online help topics (.hlp: Winhelp 4) from the PDF. In
Framemaker I have used the "message client" Hypertext command with the
following syntax:
"message system C:/PathtoHelpFile/WINHELP.EXE -iSystem_Module
afm_sysman.hlp"
In Framemaker the link works fine, but when I create a PDF the link goes
away (even though I selected the "Generate Acrobat Data" Print option). When
I link to a URL using a HTML help topic it works fine from Framemaker and
from a PDF. If we can't find a solution, the only route would be to convert
this huge file (600,000 words) to HTML help just for this project which no
one wants to do.

With native FrameMaker hypertext commands, only
"message openfile afm_sysman.hlp"
is transferred to Acrobat, but this can only "launch" the help file,
opening it at the default topic.

It is possible to create links to specific WinHelp topics with
hypertext markers when distilling with the FrameMaker-to-
Acrobat TimeSavers add-on with the following marker:
alert ~helplink (helpfile) (topicID)

Similarly, bookmarks pointing to specific topics can be
defined in FrameMaker with:
alert ~helpbmk (Bookmark Title) /CS (helpfile) (topicID)
where /CS is a 2-letter control string, where C is bookmark color,
and S is font style (0=regular, 1=italic, 2=bold, 3=bold italic)

A sample PDF (65K) demonstrating this is at:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/document.pdf

A zip (67K) file, including source fm file, pdf and hlp files is at:
http://www.microtype.com/showcase/WinHelpDirectLink.zip

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker, Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com