RE: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: RE: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:55:03 +0100

I believe you're referring to this article in the New York Times at
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/19/technology/circuits/19MESS.html?8cir
(free registration required to view). I thought it was quite
interesting. I particularly liked the bit about the teacher who was
going to integrate this 'IM speech' into a lesson about the dynamic
nature of language:

<NYTQuote>
I turn it into a very positive teachable moment for kids in the class,"
said Erika V. Karres, an assistant professor at the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill who trains student teachers. She shows students
how English has evolved since Shakespeare's time. "Imagine Langston
Hughes's writing in quick texting instead of `Langston writing,' " she
said. "It makes teaching and learning so exciting." </NYTQuote>

I detect more than a hint of irony in your 'What is the world coming 2?'
question, but I'm sure that's a common reaction amongst grammarians
everywhere. Of course, then I remember that when I read letters from 100
years ago, they sound stuffy and overly-formal. Will my letters sound
that way 100 years from now, when some great nephew is writing about
them for a geneaology project: "That Unc D wuz tres |=|. He wuz so not
down wit whatz what."

Cheers. DB.

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com