RE: A grand, grand opening line...

Subject: RE: A grand, grand opening line...
From: "Darren Barefoot" <darren -dot- barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 10:05:24 +0100

"WebAcme 3000, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul.
Ack-mee: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the
palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Web. Ack. Mee."

But seriously, I find that the introductory material tends to read a bit
more like marketing content than the rest of the manual. Generally I
like to reinforce why owning the software (and reading the manual) is a
good thing, as in, "wait to go, you've made an intelligent purchasing
decision". This is even more important when the user hasn't actually
bought the thing, and is having it thrust upon them.

For example, our current documentation set starts off with this
campfire-side gem:

"Before Web services, Internet computing and e-commerce were based on
the exchange of information through enterprise application integration
(EAI). Developers created one-time, proprietary solutions for system
integration. A new, often makeshift solution had to be developed each
time two companies wanted to interchange data."

Thanks. DB.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com