Re: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."

Subject: Re: Like I mean: "Grammar Stinks."
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:38:12 -0700

Jo Francis Byrd wrote:

Maybe I'm just an old fogey (definitely a possibility, but while _I_ can say
that, you can't! :> ), but reading "AOLspeak" slows me down! I have to stop
and analyze what's being said, whereas with "real" words, I don't have to, I
can absorb the meaning much more quickly.

I wonder if the speed of comprehension depends on whether you were taught to read phonetically or using whole language methods?

I was taught phonetically, and don't have much problem with AOL speak myself.

The reason that I don't use it is that I'm not a teenager, and nothing's more pathetic than a middle-aged man trying to pretend he knows the youth culture.

(Come to think of it, the best way to kill AOL speak would be to have everybody use it. Once the kids see their parents use it, they'll start using proper grammar to differentiate themselves)

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"We are not beginners, we will not be fooled,
Time has been our teacher, and it keeps an iron rule:
We do our best work in the dark, we do our thinking on the run,
We will stay together till the longest day is done."
- OysterBand, "A Fire Is Burning"

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com