Re: Funny technical writing--risky?

Subject: Re: Funny technical writing--risky?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:48:04 -0700

Hart, Geoff wrote:

> There are risks to using humor, including:
[snip]

I think you may have missed the most important one: humor may interfer with your attempt to communicate.If the point of tech-writing is to deliver information quickly and accurately,then humor is simply a distraction: it's more text to scan, and it's not the information that readers are looking for.

If you examine the Dummies book, you'll notice that humor is very carefully placed. There's cartoons and possibly a few jokes in the introductory sections of each chapter or section, but, once serious information is being delivered, the humor almost disappears. In other words, the humor is generally separated from the serious material, and this difference is largely consistent and supported by the book design. As a result, people trying to find information in a Dummies book don't have to re-encounter the humor when they don't want it.

Also, the Dummies books are not the same as a manual. The Dummies books are meant to be read thoroughly, but it's rash to assume that a manual will be read the same way.So, what's acceptable in a Dummies book - and may even attract the audience - isn't necessarily acceptable in documentation.

I'm very aware of this difference when I write a magazine article on a technical subject. The information that I present very dryly and matter-of-factly in a manual has to be livened up for presentation in an article.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"We are not beginners, we will not be fooled,
Time has been our teacher, and it keeps an iron rule:
We do our best work in the dark, we do our thinking on the run,
We will stay together till the longest day is done."
- OysterBand, "A Fire Is Burning"

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com