RE: A grand, grand opening line...

Subject: RE: A grand, grand opening line...
From: Shea Michael EXT <Michael -dot- Shea -dot- extern -at- icn -dot- siemens -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 12:19:41 +0200

Generally, (bow to Mr. Barefoot) I prefer to avoid telling users what a good purchase they have made. More often than not, the decision is long past and the user is stuck with the book. The reason the user is opening the book is to find out what to do with the product. So I like to start with:

1. What is this book
2. What do I need to know before I read this book.
3. If the structure of the doc set is complex I may provide a guide to what other books are available and where the reader might find them.
4. What does the reader need to do first.

I find it irritating when I have to flip to page 63 in order to find out what I need to do first.

Happy writing!

Michael Shea
XpressLink Documentation
c/o ICN AS BA ST2

Michael Shea
ROSEMANN & LAURIDSEN GMBH
Am Schlossberg 14, D-82547 Eurasburg, Germany

Phone: +49 8179 9307-19, Fax: +49 8179 9307-12
E-Mail: shea -at- r-l -dot- de, Web: www.r-l.de

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com