Re: Simplified DocBook

Subject: Re: Simplified DocBook
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 13:25:39 -0700

Megan Golding wrote:

On the GUI: Several have tried but none have succeeded, IMHO. The
problem is that WYSIWYG is the defacto standard for doc editing in most
people's minds. Any UI modeled on WYSIWYG principles won't work with
DocBook. Personally, the way psgml mode in Emacs organizes elements is
really nifty. If you're not using psgml, you should check it out.

I'll second that reccomendation. Emacs/psgml is the closest thing to a workable GUI for DocBook. As I said in a post the other day, it's far easier to use than FrameMaker 7.0 , even though it looks more primitive as a GUI.

I understand that there's a Windows version of emacs, but I don't know whether psgml is available for it or not - a quck web search suggests that it is, but I use emacs in Linux, so I haven't followed up on the lead.

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com