Workplace assumptions

Subject: Workplace assumptions
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:39:37 +1000

In a discussion about drafts, Andrew Plato wrote:

For example, some people think it is perfectly acceptable to consistently work 30
hours a week when they are being paid for 40. These people clearly need to be
reminded of the company's expectation that they work a minimum of 40 hours a
week. Personally, I don't think any diligent, professional person should have to
be reminded of such an expectation.

If people are being paid by the hour, then they certainly shouldn't need to be reminded that they need to work that number of hours. But if people are on salary, an expectation of fixed number of hours worked needs to be clearly communicated, because not all companies DO have an expectation (or requirement) that people must work a set number of hours. Some companies take the view that you agree to a certain level of productivity (and how to measure that productivity); if you can consistently meet your productivity goal in 30 or 35 hours instead of 40, no problem.

Granted, those companies are the exception, but I have worked for some of them. If someone has had the fortunate circumstance of only working for such a company, they could be forgiven for assuming that it's the normal situation rather than the exception, and get into trouble when they change jobs and work somewhere that set hours are required.

I'm not arguing that one way is better than the other, just that both are valid ways of working and which is expected at a given company needs to be made explicit. If the 40-hour-week expectation has been made clear to employees, then I agree with Andrew that they shouldn't need to be reminded; but all too often the expectations are not clearly communicated.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com