Re: FW: Tables "tied" to section breaks - FIXED!!

Subject: Re: FW: Tables "tied" to section breaks - FIXED!!
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:54:03 +1000

Lorraine wonders,

Can somebody tell me WHY one would want to set up a table with Text wrapping around it and Section breaks for every page? I have not ever had the need to do this.

By coincidence, I posted a note on this very topic to the WORD-PC list yesterday. Here's part of it:

I have been reading a very informative article on the Word MVP site, titled "Table Basics" by Suzanne Barnhill and Dave Rado, which has a section that might have bearing on some of the table problems mentioned recently on this list. The article is here: http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/TableBasicsContent.htm

The relevant bit is titled "Text-wrapped" tables and frames. Here's an extract:

It is all too easy to switch a table's "text-wrapping" on inadvertently. When you are working in a table in Word 2000 and above, you may see a four-headed arrow in a box at the top left corner of the table. This "table handle" appears only in Print Layout view. If you click on it, you can drag the table anywhere on the page. It then becomes "text-wrapped". Even if you drag it just ever so slightly, the table becomes text-wrapped. Needless to say, you must be careful not to drag the table accidentally when selecting text in the first cell.

The lack of visibility of the frame borders in text-wrapped tables, combined with the ease with which you can accidentally turn text-wrapping on, makes for a maintenance nightmare, as it is often difficult to tell whether a table has wrapping switched on or not.

There's more in the article cited.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com