re: @!#$%& plain text is a pain in the ASCII

Subject: re: @!#$%& plain text is a pain in the ASCII
From: Greg Holmes <holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:21:09 -0400

>I'm trying to figure out the ryhme and reason (or lack thereof) that
>Notepad uses to place hard returns in what should be uninterrupted
>lines of text.

You've already got the answer (Notepad places hard returns where it wraps) but I have to place my vote for alternative editor: gvim for Windows.

http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

The self installing executable has everything you need.

Although it supports all the cryptic vi/vim commands, this version is so Windows-ized that you can just hit 'i' (for insert mode) and go (and there is probably some way to get it to start in insert mode; I just haven't bothered to find it).

Ctrl+c, Ctrl+v, etc. work as expected. Plenty of toolbar buttons, menus, etc. so you won't get stranded, but you can learn the powerful keyboard commands at your own pace.

No weird wrapping, no having your type appear somewhere other than the visible cursor (a bug in some versions of notepad, right after a save), none of that. Even seamlessly handles files with unix line endings.

Oh, and syntax highlighting for a zillion types of code and markup. That alone is worth a lot.

Greg Holmes

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com