Re: Having a killer resume

Subject: Re: Having a killer resume
From: janine -dot- bland -at- marsh -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 14:17:43 -0600

As someone who also looks at a lot of tech writer resumes, I can tell you
I cannot stand seeing an objective at the top of a resume. Your objective
is getting the job you are applying for.

What we have found that was key though, is when describing the projects
you have worked on, tell us what software you used to develop your OLH or
Manual. That saves us and the applicant much heartache when we are
looking for something more sophisticated than Word. Make sure you list
your computer skills up front. I hate having to search for them.

Also key is I want to know where you went to school and your degree. I
don't care if it was 20 years ago and in philosophy. It gives me the
oppotunity to find out how you got into tech writing and why you stayed
with it.

A pet peeve is when I see someone include that they do creative writing
"on the side". It's nice that a person does creative writing on the side,
but my number one worry when I hear that is the person will try and do it
at work. I have had 2 people already who worked for us do that.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com